Today we’ll be doing a real simple baked shrimp dish. This lemon garlic butter baked shrimp is infused with flavors of fresh garlic, parsley and lemon zest and topped with butter-drenched panko and Parmesan bread crumbs.
Finish it off with some drizzled lemon juice and you’re ready to feed four people. You can serve this with a side of greens such as asparagus or green beans or lay it on a bed of pasta tossed with some virgin olive oil, lemon, fresh basil, capers and shaved Parmesan cheese.
Sounds good? Let’s begin.
First we toss the shrimp with some garlic, parsley, lemon zest and white wine. The white wine is completely optional. Leave it out for a kid-friendly meal. Make sure the shrimp is properly thawed and completely dry before mixing it all up in a mixing bowl.
Then combine the panko with melted butter and grated Parmesan cheese. I used panko bread crumbs for the crunch factor to add some texture to the shrimp. The grated Parmesan cheese is the stuff you find in the green shakers. I prefer to use the shaker stuff over fresh Parmesan because it distributes more evenly among the bread crumbs.
Once you mix the bread crumbs with the melted butter, it will clump up and that’s okay. This is the stuff that will taste crunchy and buttery later on and we want that. Follow up by spreading the shrimp evenly on a 9×13 casserole dish and topping with the panko bread crumb mixture.
Bake in the middle rack for about 7 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink. Once you can no longer see through the shrimp, it’s ready. Oven times will vary depending on your oven, so use the designated time and eyeball it from there, adding more time as needed. Move to the top rack and broil it for 2-3 minutes or until the bread crumbs start to brown.
And you’re done! Dish and serve hot drizzled with lemon juice. Enjoy your meal.
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon white wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine shrimp, garlic, parsley, lemon zest, white wine and salt and pepper to taste and toss to mix
- Transfer to a 9x13 casserole dish and spread evenly
- Combine melted butter with panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle panko mixture over shrimp
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 7 minutes, or until shrimp is pink
- Broil at 450 degrees F for 2-3 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown
- Dish and serve hot drizzled with lemon juice