It’s slow cooker playing time! I popped this one in the slow cooker at night and woke up to the most amazing smell wafting enticingly all over the house.
When it starts getting cooler, this is the kind of thing you want to come home to or wake up to.
And best of all, it only took me about 15 minutes to prep, then it was set and forget for about 8 hours. I seasoned and seared the beef chuck on both sides, mixed the gravy ingredients and dumped it all in the slow cooker. Easy peasy.
It came out tender and moist. And soaked in the au jus/balsamic gravy. Shredding it was easy apart from the time I had to spend actually doing it. I mean, all I had to do was look at the roast and it practically fell apart.
Despite being braised in balsamic vinegar, it’s not too sour and tart like you would think stuff associated with vinegar would be. The brown sugar balances it out nicely so you’ll end up with a mildly sweetened and savory roast.
One thing I did do after I shredded the beef was to separate it from the gravy. I poured the gravy in a bowl and let it cool down. All the fat from the beef floated to the surface and hardened. Then I just skimmed it off and reheated the gravy to pour over the beef, fat free!
Eat them with mashed potatoes or put them in sandwiches or french rolls with some cheese. I paired them with my some mashed spuds and smoky roasted mushrooms from a couple days ago. And leftovers were made into beef sandwiches with an au jus dip!
- 2-3 lb. beef chuck roast
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1½ teaspoons garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and sear over medium high heat until browned on both sides
- Transfer the meat to a slow cooker
- Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over the meat
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- Once cooked, remove the roast and shred with two forks. Discard and remove any fatty bits
- Dish and serve hot with gravy
Nutrition for serving size of 8: