Some time back I did a seafood version of the honey garlic flavors from crispy honey garlic chicken. It did pretty well. People seem to like the flavor combo. So today I’ve tried out a slow cooker chicken version with shredded chicken instead. This one has a slight variation to the ingredients to make it more smoky.
I’ll not take credit for the recipe although I did make some small changes. It’s one of those recipes I’ve been meaning to try for quite some time.
Moist and tender shredded chicken in a sweet and savory sauce that’s really easy to love. Think of it in terms of orange or lemon chicken, or Mongolian beef. The flavors are so strong you’ll want something to balance it out. Like rice. Then add some greens and you’re set.
Skinless chicken breasts work the best for the slow cooker. I’ve tried wings. I’ve tried drumsticks. Basically anything with chicken skin on it will render too much fat in the slow cooker. This fat pools with the sauce and dilutes it and no amount of reduction on the stove really brings it back to what it should be. So we’ll get rid of the skin. It’s healthier anyway!
If you’re wondering what the heck blackberry jam is doing in there, I know, I wondered too. But my foodie senses could taste how well it blends in with the rest of the sauce. I made it and tasted it and confirmed my instincts. The blackberry jam lends a nice tangy sweetness that really ties in the flavors. Since it’s such a small amount, the jam is not overpowering but supplemental. Just make sure to get the seedless kind.
I added some smoked paprika for the smoky flavor in lieu of hoisin sauce and it worked out pretty well! You’ll feel like you just got some wood smoked shredded chicken.
This one’s pretty easy to put together. It took me less than ten minutes to arrange the chicken breasts in the slow cooker, mix the sauce, pour it over and presto…done!
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ginger, minced
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons seedless blackberry jam
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Arrange the chicken breasts in the slow cooker
- Combine garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce, blackberry jam, olive oil, smoked paprika and pepper to taste. Stir to mix well
- Pour over the chicken and cover
- Cook on LOW for 4 hours
- Shred chicken with two forks
- Transfer the sauce to a pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat
- Pour in the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce
- Mix the sauce with the chicken and toss to combine well
- Dish and serve hot