How about some summer slow cooking? We want something easy and hassle free but good enough to feed a crowd or a family for a couple of days. So today we’re gonna be doing some slow cooker shredded beef tacos with some chuck roast seared lovingly before it’s slow cooked for hours in a spiced tomato sauce.
The toppings are entirely up to you. Lettuce, cheese, beans, rice, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime, guacamole, salsa, sour cream or hot sauce Maybe even some corn! And don’t be limited by the title of the recipe. You can use this beef for burritos or enchiladas too.
There’s some cayenne and jalapeno in here, but when all was said and done, I didn’t find it spicy at all so don’t be turned off by those two. And if you want it super spicy, just add in more peppers or cayenne. Or some hot sauce. We always have a bottle of Cholula handy at home for this.
Alright, let’s cook!
Use a cheap cut of beef for this, something perfect for slow cooking like a chuck roast. I seasoned it with salt and pepper and seared it for awhile cause searing before braising is good. You can skip this step if you don’t want an extra pan to wash but read this before you do so you can make an informed decision!
Then in the slow cooker it goes and you top it with the diced onions and sauce mixture, which is beef broth spiced with cayenne, ground cumin, smoked paprika, garlic, tomato pasta, lime juice and diced jalapenos.
If you want less heat, remove the seeds from the jalapenos. I did this, so my beef wasn’t too spicy. If you want more heat, leave the seeds in. If you want even more, add more peppers or more cayenne.
It’ll look like a slab of beef with very little juices to go around before you start cooking. Don’t worry about this because after 8 hours of braising, the beef will break down you’ll end up with more than enough juices to coat your shredded beef.
Slow cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high and that’s it! I did mine on low for 8 hours. Then serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- 2-3 lb. chuck roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- Season the beef with salt and pepper to taste then sear all sides over medium high heat in some oil until browned, about 2 minutes per side
- Remove beef and set aside
- Combine cayenne, cumin, paprika and garlic with the beef broth
- Add tomato paste, jalapeno and lime juice and stir to mix
- Transfer beef to a slow cooker and toss in diced onions
- Pour the beef broth mixture over the meat
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours
- Shred beef with two forks and toss to coat with the juices
- Dish and serve hot with toppings